2006 Doctor of Philosophy in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan, Dissertation:"Phylogenetic and Biogeographic Analyses of Greater Antillean and Middle American Cichlidae."
2000 Bachelor of Science in Applied Zoology, McGill University, Montréal, Québec.
2014 – Present Associate Professor/Curator of Fishes, Louisiana State University, Department of Biological Sciences, Museum of Natural Science, LA.
2016 - Present Research Associate National Museum of Natural History Smithsonian, Washington, D.C.
2012 - Present Research Associate, Division of Vertebrate Zoology, American Museum of Natural History, NY.
2016 - 2017 Program Director for National Science Foundation (Visiting Scientist, Engineer Program), Systematics and Biodiversity Sciences Cluster in the Division of Environmental Biology, Directorate for Biological Sciences, VA.
2008 - 2014 Assistant Professor/Curator of Fishes, Louisiana State University, Department of Biological Sciences, Museum of Natural Science, LA.
2006 - 2008 Post-doctoral Fellow, American Museum of Natural History, Department of Ichthyology, NY.
Awards & Honors (selected)
2018 Senior TED Fellow
2016 Class of TED Fellows
2016 Rainmaker, 2015 Mid-Career Scholar Award, LSU
2013 LSU Rainmaker Award Emerging Scholar
2012 Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Macdonald Campus, McGill University
2011 Top Ten Species of 2010 by the International Institute of Species Exploration Halieutichthys intermedius Ho, Chakrabarty & Sparks 2010
2006 Carl and Laura Hubbs Fellow, University of Michigan Museum of Zoology.
2005 University of Michigan Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award
- Ichthyology course (lecture/lab)
- Evolution (lecture only)
- Systematics Discussion Group
- Curatorial Methods
- Introductory Biology Lab - Instructor of Record, Course Based Undergraduate Research
- Chakrabarty, P. (2012) A Guide to Academia: Getting into and Surviving Grad School, Postdocs and a Research Job. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford. ISBN:978-0470960417
- Chakrabarty, P., Warny, S., Derouen, V. (2014) Making a Big Splash With Louisiana Fishes. Special Publication of the Occasional Papers of the LSUMNS. ISBN:978-4951-2077-0
Selected Publications (selected of 60+)
- Alda, F., Adams, A.J., McMillan, W.O., Chakrabarty, P. 2018. Mitogenomic divergence between three pairs of putative geminate fishes from Panama. Mitochondrial DNA Part B 3: 1-5.
- Burress, E.D., Alda, F. Duarte, A., Loureiro, M., Armbruster, J.W., Chakrabarty, P. 2018. Phylogenomics of the pike cichlids (Cichlidae: Crenicichla) and the rapid evolution and trophic diversification in an incipient species flock. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 31: 14-30 [Cover Article]
- Chakrabarty, P., Faircloth, B. (co-first), Ludt, W.B., McMahan, C.D., Near, T.J., Dornberg, A., Albert, J.S., Arroyave, J., Stiassny, M.L.J.S., Sorenson, L., Alfaro, M.E. (2017) Phylogenomic Systematics of Ostariophysan fishes: Ultraconserved Elements Support the surprising non-monophyly of Characiformes. Systematic Biology 66 (6): 881-895. [Cover Article]
- Chakrabarty, P., (2017) Teaching Louisiana Students About Evolution by Comparing the Anatomy of Fishes and Humans In: Lynn, C.D., Glaze, A.L., Evans, W.A., Reed, L.K. (eds.) Evolution Education in the American South CRC Press; pp. 177-187.
- Butler, J.M., Whitlow, S.M., Gwan, A.P., Chakrabarty, P., Maruska, K.P. 2017. Swim bladder morphology changes with female reproductive state in the mouth brooding African cichlid Astatotilapia burtoni. Journal of Experimental Biology220: 4463-4470
- Chakrabarty, P., O'Neil, G.A., Hardy, B., Ballengee, B. (2016) Five Years Later: An Update on the Status of Collections of Endemic Gulf of Mexico Fishes Put at Risk by the 2010 Oil Spill. Biodiversity Data Journal 4: e8728: 1-27.